October 18, 2012

Emergency Post: Cyberdyne Systems created HAL?

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that."
Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard with my sci-fi emersion lately, but I came across this and it just freaked me out so much! Have a look...

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/robotsuithal/

I've went over this every which way, but I just don't understand it. Maybe the CEO is a sci-fi buff or something, but even then... to name your company after one of sci-fi's most evil icons of the last four decades is... a bit out there. And I'm sure there are stock holders who 'just don't get it'. What are gonna say when your intranet is trying to take over the world?
"We never saw it coming," is definitely not going to work!

And then the suit. The suit will actually be used to clean up Japan's contaminated areas after the meltdown of the nuclear reactor near Fukushima, so THAT'S alright. But to name it HAL? Isn't that cutting it a bit too close? Especially since your company name is already Cyberdyne.

To use one of the English language's most giggle-inducing descriptions, I was flabbergasted. And I'm sure I could spend hours trying to explain to you exactly how it made me feel, but I'll just leave with these two excerpts and be done with it.

BTW, check out the bottom of the page, where it says Domestic Rental. I guess you can rent this suit as a private person as well. You know, for heavy lifting around the house.

Marcel




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...