January 22, 2011

15 Random Horror Quotes

Throughout the years a lot of people asked me why I like horror so much. And sometimes I wonder this myself. Certainly it has something to do with a perverse nature or a tendency towards the sadistic or masochistic (depending whether you like to scare or to be scared). For myself I cannot say, but below you will find some thoughts and quotes from other horror writers.

I hope you'll find them stimulating and helpful in forming your own thoughts on this particularly nasty nook of literature.

1) 'When there is no imagination, there is no horror' - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

2) 'The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.' - H. P. Lovecraft.

3) 'Horror is the removal of masks' - Robert Bloch.

4) 'Horror is not a genre, it is an emotion' - Douglas E. Winter.

5) 'Civilization is hideously fragile [and] there's not much between us and the horrors underneath, just about a coat of varnish.' - C.P. Snow.

6) 'Perfect order is the forerunner of perfect horror.' - Carlos Fuentes.

7) 'One might say that the true subject of the horror genre is the struggle for recognition of all that our civilization represses and oppresses.' - Robin Wood.

8) 'That truth is that monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win.' - Stephen King.

9) 'The world is a wonderful place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.' - Robert Bloch.

10) '...A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.' - Joseph Conrad.

11) 'You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' - Eleanor Roosevelt.

12) 'Horror is the natural reaction to the last 5,000 years of history.' - Robert Anton Wilson.

13) 'The charm of horror only tempts the strong' - Jean Lorrain.
 
14) 'There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight.' - Lon Chaney.

15) 'Some people say that I must be a horrible person, but that's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.' - Robert Bloch.

Sources:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...