December 7, 2011

Playlist for the writers!

...lalalalalaaaa--- <hack>....
Recently I started a new writing project. As always it starts out as a novella and we'll see where it takes me this time. One note-worthy fact is that this will be my very first attempt at a full-on dark fantasy story. I've always wanted to do one, but never had an appropriate story. Now I do.

But with writing a new novel comes, of course, a new playlist! Since the previous list was such a big hit, I decided to share this one with you as well. Some songs might seem an odd choice, but this is just what does it for me. Don't hang me up on this one!

1. The Passenger - Kid Loco - The first thing that attracted me to this 45-year old French DJ, was the title of his wonderful album Confessions of a Bella-Donna Eater. Really, how can you pass up an album with a name like that? This song deals with a mystical sounding man called The Passenger who rides down the gnarly streets of the city. It evokes an atmosphere of darkness in the way Tom Waits used to do. Oh, the original is by Iggy Pop, apparently.

2. Perhaps Vampires is a bit Strong, But... - Arctic Monkeys - I passed on this band for the first couple of years and missed their great debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I'm a sucker for long titles and if it's coupled with a nice retro-post-neo-punk band, it doesn't get any better. Okay, the song itself has nothing to do with vampires, but it's a nice angry-young-men testament.

3. Nanananananana - My Chemical Romance - Really? With a name like that and you're not even mildly interested? Ever since their great album The Black Parade, My Chemical Romance have been part of all my playlists.

4. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked - Cage the Elephant - Another recent discovery, this US band has been pumping out weird rock songs since 2008, but managed to stay under my radar. I heard this one on the radio and was immediately hooked.

5. Black Canal - Fish - Maybe it's the publication of my book Resurrection of a Broken Mind which was read by a Scottish friend of mine, but ever since I fell back in love with Fish' voice. This spoken word epic (8-9 minutes) was released as a bonus track on Suits (1994), but works well on its own as well.

6. Baba Yetu - Christopher Tin - Yes, it was on the soundtrack of Civ 4 and I know it from there. But it's so uplifting and wonderful that I needed to have it. Lately, I rediscovered it and now put it in its rightful place in my playlist.

Dead can Dance - Echolalia
7. Echolalia - Dead Can Dance - Basically for the obligatory fantasy feelings, but I love the dark implications of this one. It's like a chant from some dark cult or something. I have to look it up one of these days. The title itself just implies a psychological condition where the patient has to repeat certain words over and over again. In itself worth a place on the horror list.

8. Lullaby - The Cure - Well, this really should've been in the all-time horror music list, but somehow, it wasn't there. So it goes here. I rediscovered The Cure after listening to their unplugged album and than aching for the originals. One of the best clips you ever saw, as well.

9. Heavy Horses - Jethro Tull - The entire Heavy Horses album reeks of wide-open nature and meadows and fields and other countryside paraphenelia. It should since it's an ode to the disappearing British countryside. It's basically in all my writing playlists.

10. I Miss You - Blink 182 - Actually, this is of my wife's favorites that I kind of took to after hearing the wonderful lyric Catching things and eating their insides. I turned to the clip and loved it in an instant. A lovely song about love that cannot last, a guy who feels he's not good enough, etc. It's as good as The Cure, I kid you not.

Well, that was it for now. When I find more nice tunes, a good movie or read a good book, I'll let you know!

Take Care!

Marcel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...