February 22, 2011

Free Sample Publication Day Countdown Nr.8: 'Those strange beautiful fishes'!

In nervous anticipation of the publication of my first collection of horror stories Beneath Dark Waters, I'm releasing a sample a day from each story!

Today: Those strange, beautiful fishes

One Saturday morning, on his way to his job, Joris finds a fisherman on the side of the canal. Not in any hurry, he takes the time to talk to the man about fishing, the countryside, working and the like. The old man tells him some remarkable stories about his own life, including the type of bait he uses for the fish. Slowly, Joris gets the sneaking suspicion the friendly, old man is not all he seems to be.

I wrote this story back in 2003/4 when I first decided to give up writing Serious Literature and focus more on horror. I handed it in to Holland SF, a small Dutch magazine, and it was published in the spring issue of 2006. When I translated it into English, I rewrote the passage where Joris catches the fish. The rest is much like the original. 

Check out the sample below:


Tomorrow: Strangely Calm and Satisfied


For more free stuff: Click Free Stories

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...